: In today’s industry of massage therapy, it is more important than ever to have knowledge and skills necessary for a successful career. There are a wide range of opportunities available in today’s spa environment, and there are many different potential business relationships that will be encountered throughout a typical career. Learning more about the business world will serve to equip the spa professional with information and tools that will inevitably be required as you begin your career.
This course provides an overview of the theoretical principles for common massage therapy systems and manual techniques. The course discusses the historical influences from a variety of cultures in order to best understand the massage therapy industry and profession today. In addition, the course overviews selected major cautions and contraindications for giving massage, as well as the effects and benefits of proper massage therapy treatments. The course prepares students with fundamental knowledge about sanitation, and creating an appropriate environment to perform massage therapy services with ethical and professional boundaries. The course also serves to introduce both the theoretical basis as well as the demonstration of fundamental manual techniques in the traditional discipline of Western Massage (i.e. Swedish massage), and the contemporary systems of Myofascial Massage, Trigger Point Therapy, and Reflexology.
Ethics and professionalism is extremely important with any therapeutic practice and these topics focus on the real-world ethical challenges professionals’ face, providing clear rationales for ethical behavior. The content encourages introspection, conversation, critical thinking, and problem solving, and promotes meaningful conversation about ethical concepts and dilemmas.
This course provides instruction the focuses on the basic knowledge and skills of business and professional development, including writing resumes, goal setting, self-care, and job interview comportment. Students will also have the knowledge and tools for basic entrepreneurship, including marketing for massage therapy. Finally, the course emphasizes utmost professionalism and ethical behavior.
At the end of this course, students will be able to:
• Have the basic knowledge of the skills of professional development
• Will have the basic knowledge and ability to create a professional resume
• Search effectively for job opportunities, and prepare for professional interviews
• Develop career strategies, set goals, and create a plan for ongoing professional development
• Navigate the career path with sound business practices and ethical behavior
• Maintain personal and professional boundaries and develop routine practices for self-care
• Have the basic knowledge and tools for basic entrepreneurship, including marketing for massage therapy
• Observe ethical and professional behavior in accordance with ethical codes from the leading professional organizations in the industry
• Comprehend foundational knowledge for understanding and applying massage therapy.
• Gain insight into the philosophical and historical background of massage therapy.
• Explain the effects and benefits of massage.
• Understand clinical applications of massage.
• Explain contraindications and endangerment sites common to massage therapy practice.
• Understand general guidelines for giving massage including hygiene, setting up the physical environment, and elements of performance.
• Define the therapeutic relationship and basic ethical principles as they apply to the massage therapy profession.
• Understand the principles, and explain the common massage techniques used in Western Massage Therapy.
• Understand the principles of joint range of motion and explain the various techniques used to optimize joint mobility and range of motion.
• Understand the principles of Myofascial Massage and explain the basic manual techniques used to treat the myofascial system.
• Understand the basic physiology of trigger points, and explain the manual techniques used to treat trigger points as a massage therapist.
• Understand the principles of Reflexology and explain the basic techniques used to treat the various systems of the body with the application of manual reflexology methods.Instructor Description
: This class supported by an Educational Mentor. Our educational mentors have worked or are working in the subject they mentor. Educational Mentors reviews student work, student progress, and interacts with students as needed. They respond to any questions or concerns you might have, as well as encouraging and motivating you to succeed.
All materials for this course are provided.