MOTORCYCLE SAFETY LEAGUE OF VIRGINIA, INC / VIRGINIA RIDER TRAINING PROGRAM APPROVED…
Our Sidecar/Trike Education Program (S/TEP) is designed to teach the novice or experienced Sidecar, Can-Am (canam), or Trike rider the skills necessary to safely operate three-wheeled vehicles on the street, even if you've never ridden any kind of motorcycle.
This 16-hour course takes the rider through the basics of trike (three-wheel) operation (controls are much the same as a two-wheeled motorcycle) including, but not limited to, effective braking, turning skills and obstacle avoidance, as well as safe riding strategies. The course consists of both classroom instruction and hands-on riding instruction. All riding is done on a closed course.
Motorcycle Student Requirements:
- Must possess either a valid driver's license or learner's permit
- Wear long sturdy pants and a long-sleeved shirt (no exposed skin through clothing)
- Bring a pair of full-fingered gloves (no exposed skin through gloves)
- Helmet: ¾ or full face (minimum DOT rating); helmets are available for students to borrow
- Over-the-ankle, sturdy footwear with a LOW heel (no canvas shoes)
- Eye protection (eye glasses or sunglasses will suffice)
- Students Will Not Be Permitted To Ride Without This Clothing!
Instructors for the MSLVI/VRTP: S/TEP are all experienced motorcyclists and are nationally certified by the Evergreen Safety Council.
Successful completion of the course qualifies the student for an "M3" endorsement on their Virginia Driver's License. Additionally, many insurance companies provide premium discounts on motorcycle insurance to those who successfully complete this class.
NOTE: This course applies only to the riding and operation of "three" trike and sidecar motorcycles. Those wishing for endorsement to operate a two-wheel motorcycle should enroll in the Basic Rider Safety Course